– The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Wednesday reported 2,624,873 cases of new coronavirus, an increase of 43,644 cases from its previous count, and said that the number of deaths had risen by 560 to 127,299. The CDC reported its tally of cases of the respiratory illness known as COVID-19, caused by a new coronavirus, as of 4 pm ET on June 30 compared with its previous report a day earlier.…"U.S. CDC reports 2,624,873 coronavirus cases"
– Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV and Hyundai Motor Co on Wednesday reported a sharp decline in quarterly U.S. auto sales, as the COVID-19 crisis sapped auto demand across the country. Analysts say the second quarter is expected to see the biggest contraction in auto sales this year, as pandemic-led lockdown restrictions and job losses kept consumers at bay. Fiat Chrysler reported a 39% slump in U.S. sales to 367,086 vehicles in the second quarter, hit…"Fiat Chrysler, Hyundai quarterly U.S. auto sales slump on virus hit"
– ViacomCBS Inc said on Wednesday Amazon finance executive Naveen Chopra would replace Christina Spade as its chief financial officer, effective Aug. 10. Spade, who held the position since December, will transition into an advisory role after the company’s second quarter earnings results, the media company said in a statement Chopra, currently serving as the finance head for Amazon’s Devices and Services business, will report to ViacomCBS Chief Executive Officer Bob Bakish. Before Amazon, Chopra…"ViacomCBS taps Amazon executive to replace CFO Spade"
– Treatments for peanut allergy and Parkinson’s disease are among U.S. drug launches that have been postponed by the COVID-19 pandemic as drugmakers struggle with disruptions to business, a review of filings and interviews with executives show. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved more than 30 new medicines since January, but at least five drugmakers including Bristol Myers Squibb , Sanofi , Neurocrine Biosciences , Endo Pharmaceuticals and Aimmune have changed their launch…"From Parkinson’s to peanut allergy, pandemic puts brakes on new drugs"
– Dutch short track speed skater Lara van Ruijven is in critical condition after being diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder and is showing no signs of recovery, the Royal Dutch Skating Federation (KNSB) said on Wednesday. The 27-year-old Olympic medallist was admitted to hospital in Perpignan, France last week after falling ill during a training camp but her health has since deteriorated. The KNSB said Van Ruijven’s condition has not improved after undergoing surgery twice…"Speed Skating: World champion Van Ruijven critical condition after falling ill in France"
– Top business executives in the United Sates are calling on the U.S. Congress to pass bipartisan policing reform before its August recess, in the wake of protests against police brutality and racial bias in the criminal justice system. “Congress cannot afford to let this moment pass,” Joshua Bolten, the president and chief executive of The Business Roundtable group, said in a statement on Wednesday. “There is room for bipartisan agreement on many critical issues…"Top U.S. business executives urge Congress to pass bipartisan policing reform"
– Upper Crust owner SSP said on Wednesday it could cut about 5,000 jobs in a proposed restructuring of its UK business due to very low passenger numbers even as coronavirus-led restrictions ease. SSP, which operates food and beverage outlets in airports and train stations in 36 countries, said the job cuts will affect its head office and UK operations. “We are beginning to see early signs of recovery in some parts of the world…"Upper Crust owner SSP warns of 5,000 job cuts due to restructuring"
BENGALURU – Carlyle will buy a 25% stake in Indian telecom firm Bharti Airtel Ltd’s data center arm for $235 million, the U.S. private equity group said on Wednesday, as it taps into the rapid growth of digital services in India. The acquisition, by an affiliate of Carlyle, will give Airtel’s Nxtra Data Ltd an enterprise valuation of about $1.2 billion, the companies said in a statement. Airtel will hold the remaining 75% stake in…"Carlyle to buy 25% of Bharti Airtel’s data center arm for $235 million"
– Netflix Inc on Tuesday appointed Bozoma Saint John as the streaming giant’s chief marketing officer, starting in August, adding a high-profile Black executive to senior management. Saint John, who has been vocal about inequality in corporate America, joins from entertainment and talent agency Endeavor where she was the head of marketing since 2018. She also previously worked at Apple Inc and Uber Technologies Inc. The appointment comes at a time as U.S. companies are…"Netflix names Bozoma Saint John as chief marketing officer"
– The Agnelli family’s investment holding company, Exor NV , said on Tuesday it now has a 92.03% stake in GEDI Gruppo Editoriale S.p.A. following a mandatory tender offer for the remaining shares of the Italian publisher. Shareholders of GEDI will be paid 0.46 euro per share on July 6, 2020, Exor said in a statement with preliminary results of the mandatory offer that ended on Tuesday. GEDI shares would be delisted following the deal.…"Exor raises stake in Italian publisher GEDI to over 90%"