JOHANNESBURG – Anti-vaccine protesters took to the streets in Johannesburg on Wednesday to voice their concern over Africa’s first human trials for a potential coronavirus vaccine. Last Wednesday, the University of the Witwatersrand in partnership with Oxford University rolled out South Africa’s first clinical trial, which will consist of 2,000 volunteers. The involvement of South Africa in vaccine trials is intended to ensure the continent will have access to an affordable vaccine and not be…"‘We are not guinea pigs,’ say South African anti-vaccine protesters"
– A COVID-19 vaccine developed by German biotech firm BioNTech and U.S. pharmaceutical giant Pfizer has shown potential and was found to be well tolerated in early-stage human trials, the companies said on Wednesday. The drug is one of 17 being tested on humans in a frantic global race to find a vaccine the world is counting on to end a pandemic that has killed more than half a million so far. The following rivals…"Factbox: COVID-19 vaccine candidates with early human-trial data"
– Treatments for peanut allergy and Parkinson’s disease are among U.S. drug launches that have been postponed by the COVID-19 pandemic as drugmakers struggle with disruptions to business, a review of filings and interviews with executives show. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved more than 30 new medicines since January, but at least five drugmakers including Bristol Myers Squibb , Sanofi , Neurocrine Biosciences , Endo Pharmaceuticals and Aimmune have changed their launch…"From Parkinson’s to peanut allergy, pandemic puts brakes on new drugs"
– The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved more than 30 new drugs since January. So far, five medicines have seen their commercial launches delayed by manufacturers until later in the year or 2021 because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Here are the drugs that have been delayed: PALFORZIA Aimmune Therapeutics Inc paused the launch of the first peanut allergy treatment to be approved by U.S. regulators until later this year because of the widespread…"New drug launches stalled by COVID-19 pandemic"
– New U.S. COVID-19 cases rose by more than 47,000 on Tuesday according to a tally, the biggest one-day spike since the start of the pandemic, as the government’s top infectious disease expert warned that number could soon double. DEATHS AND INFECTIONS * For an interactive graphic tracking the global spread, open in an external browser. * For a U.S.-focused tracker with state-by-state and county map, open in an external browser. * Eikon users, see…"Factbox: Latest on the worldwide spread of the coronavirus"
– An experimental coronavirus vaccine developed by Inovio Pharmaceuticals Inc showed promise and was found to be safe in an early-stage human trial, the company said on Tuesday. The vaccine, one of the 17 being tested in humans and part of the Trump administration’s “Operation Warp Speed” program, induced “immune responses” in healthy volunteers, Inovio said. Immune responses in the study were measured by the vaccine’s ability to generate binding antibodies, or virus-neutralizing antibodies, and…"Inovio’s COVID-19 vaccine candidate shows promise in small early-stage trial"
– The federal court of Canada on Monday dismissed a plea by drugmakers challenging the Canadian government’s new regulations aimed at lowering prices of patented drugs that could potentially lead them to lose billions over a decade. The court struck down one part of the new regulation, finding that using certain payments to third parties to determine a drug’s regulated price went beyond the government’s authority, but upheld the bulk of the rules. Canada published…"Canada federal court dismisses drugmakers’ plea challenging drug price rules"
NEW YORK ( Breakingviews) – Medicine may be a science but drug pricing is definitely an art. That’s especially true of Gilead Sciences’ treatment for Covid-19, given the lack of alternative treatments for a pandemic. The $2,300 price of a course of remdesivir may sound high – and is compared with the basic cost of manufacturing the stuff – but is actually fairly restrained. Start at the bottom. The marginal cost of producing remdesivir is…"Breakingviews – Gilead gives glimpse into feverish drug market"
BEIJING – China’s military has received the greenlight to use a COVID-19 vaccine candidate developed by its research unit and CanSino Biologics after clinical trials proved it was safe and showed some efficacy, the company said on Monday. The Ad5-nCoV is one of China’s eight vaccine candidates approved for human trials at home and abroad for the respiratory disease caused by the new coronavirus. The shot also won approval for human testing in Canada. China’s…"CanSino’s COVID-19 vaccine candidate approved for military use in China"
BEIJING – China’s military has received the greenlight to use a COVID-19 vaccine candidate developed by its research unit and CanSino Biologics after clinical trials proved it was safe and somewhat efficient, the company said on Monday. The Ad5-nCoV is one of the eight vaccine candidates being developed by Chinese companies and researchers approved to be moved into human trials for the respiratory disease caused by the new coronavirus. The shot also won approval for…"CanSino’s COVID-19 vaccine candidate approved for military use in China"