LONDON – The United Kingdom’s death toll from confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus has risen by 67 to 44,198 in the last day, the government said on Saturday."UK confirmed COVID death toll rises to 44,198, up 67"
LONDON – Serpentine produced an incredible display of front-running to win the Epsom Derby on Saturday as Aidan O’Brien became the most successful trainer in the history of the famous flat race. The 25-1 shot opened up a huge lead on the favourites and they could not respond as Serpentine, ridden by Emmet McNamara, powered across the line. There were no spectators to witness it, however, with the re-scheduled race being run behind closed doors…"Serpentine wins Derby in stunning fashion"
– Marshall Wace is planning to raise $1 billion for a new fund which will invest based on environmental and other ethical criteria, a source familiar with the matter told . The hedge fund, co-founded by British financier Paul Marshall, will rely on external analysts who focus on environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues, the source said on Saturday. The fund will bet against stocks with poor ratings and will buy stocks with strong ESG…"Marshall Wace targets $1 billion for new ESG focused fund"
– China’s two-time Olympic badminton champion Lin Dan, one of the sport’s greatest singles players, announced his retirement on Saturday. The 37-year-old, who won the Olympics singles titles in Beijing in 2008 and the 2012 London Games, has won all the sport’s major titles, including five world championships’ gold medals. “I’ve dedicated everything to the sport I love. My family, coaches, team mates and fans have accompanied me through many happy times and difficult moments,”…"Badminton: China’s Lin Dan announces retirement"
LONDON – England takes its biggest steps yet towards resumption of normal life on Saturday as people are finally allowed to drink in a pub, get a haircut or have a meal in a restaurant for the first time in over three months. Prime Minister Boris Johnson said everybody had to behave responsibly and maintain social distancing to support businesses and not risk a second wave of the coronavirus. Some hairdressers were reported to have…"Pubs, restaurants and hairdressers reopen as England’s lockdown eases"
SPIELBERG, Austria – Nicholas Latifi declared himself a proper Formula One driver on Friday after the Canadian rookie finally made it past first free practice at a grand prix weekend. The Williams driver had taken part in 11 previous opening sessions to gain experience but the Austrian season-opener was the first time he did not have to hand back the car to someone else at lunchtime. “I really enjoyed being back in the car,” said…"Latifi finally makes it past first practice"
SPIELBERG, Austria – Formula One got back on track in changed circumstances but familiar fashion at the season-opening Austrian Grand Prix on Friday, with Mercedes and six-times world champion Lewis Hamilton picking up where they left off last year. The Briton and team mate Valtteri Bottas responded to the ‘new normal’ resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic by finishing one-two in both free practice sessions on the latest start to a campaign. Hamilton, wearing a ‘Black…"Hamilton makes a statement as F1 gets back on track"
LONDON – The United Kingdom’s death toll from confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus rose by 137 to 44,131, government figures showed on Friday. The total included a revision for one death which had previously been counted twice."UK death toll from confirmed cases rises to 44,131, up 137"
LONDON – British aerospace engineer Rolls-Royce said on Friday it was reviewing a range of options to strengthen its balance sheet and position itself for recovery after the COVID-19 pandemic. “We confirm we are in the early stages of reviewing a range of potential options,” the company said in a statement. “However, no decisions have been made.” The company said its financial position and liquidity remained strong. Shares in Rolls-Royce were trading down 8.5% at…"Rolls-Royce reviewing balance sheet options after COVID-19 hit"
– Sebastian Vettel was Ferrari’s first choice to stay and partner Charles Leclerc in Formula One next year until the COVID-19 pandemic changed everything, team principal Mattia Binotto said on Friday. The four-times world champion, who won his titles with Red Bull, will now be replaced by Spaniard Carlos Sainz who joins from McLaren at the end of the season in a decision announced in May. Vettel, who celebrated his 33rd birthday at the Austrian…"Pandemic sealed Vettel’s departure, says Ferrari boss"